The Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa (OSIEA) seeks to recruit a Program Officer in the equality and non-discrimination program.
Overall job purpose:
The Program Officer’s core duties will entail provision of support in identification and fostering of effective grant making relations in a dynamic, creative and committed manner with a focus on OSIEA’s equality and non-discrimination programming in the Eastern Africa region. The program officer will particularly focus on youth programming in the region.
- Provide a bold vision for innovative work that will add value by identifying grant-making, operational, and advocacy strategies to advance the rights of youth in Eastern Africa. Participate in the development of overall program strategy.
- Collaborate within and beyond the program team, including building partnerships beyond OSF, to develop knowledge content, identify emerging trends, and conduct strong field assessments employing a rights-based lens.
- Conduct relevant policy analysis in the region for internal and external audiences.
- Support identification of capacity and institutional development opportunities in partner organizations (grantees).
- Support network/coalition building for joint advocacy with grantees and constituents targeting governments, donor agencies, service providers, and the general public.
- Oversee administrative duties within the program and supervision of consultants.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field.
- At least six years’ relevant work experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and one other East African language.
- Experience developing and implementing social change strategies through a rights-based approach and substantive knowledge of human rights issues in the Eastern Africa region.
- Experience in working with community based groups in East Africa on human rights issues relating to youth.
- Experience in or understanding of grant making in East Africa.
- Knowledge of the Eastern Africa human rights context.
- NGO experience is desirable.
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Integrity, team work, diplomacy and professionalism will be essential.
- Willingness to travel frequently as needed.
Suitably qualified candidates should mail their resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th November 2017. The position will attract a competitive salary with good benefits package.